Thursday, October 22, 2009

Claudine Hellmuth – Hip Art for Playful Hearts

Claudine Hellmuth

Ah. Where to start?

There is so much to say about artist, Claudine Hellmuth!

I originally learned about Claudine’s art when I purchased an instructional video covering some of her collage techniques.

From that moment on, I was hooked! Since then, she has become a Facebook pal and someone whose blog I follow religiously.


Claudine and her art were featured on The Martha Stewart Show (<--click to watch cool video!) and on many other arts and crafts programs as well as in books and magazines.

Claudine and Martha

She has her own line of high quality paints manufactured by Ranger Industries. I highly recommend them. They are thick and creamy and luxurious...and they don't fade at all.


Claudine is a painter, an illustrator who has become one of America’s artistic sweethearts with her line of whimsical, retro mixed media creations that she calls, Poppets® which remind me a lot of Jenny Holzer's work....with a twist


Claudine writes, “ …My English grandmother used to use the word "poppet" as a term of endearment saying to me "don't worry little poppet everything is going to be OK." And since these artworks make me feel happy, safe and young -- the name fit perfectly.”


Claudine holds a BFA from the Corcoran College of Art & Design in Washington DC (right across the street from The Whitehouse). Her concentration was in painting, but in her senior year she began doing more mixed media work which inspired her to evolve her style into the type the collage work she does today.




Claudine’s work gained popularity when she decided to use her viewing audience as inspiration for her one-of-a-kind, custom-made collages.. People send her photographs and tell her stories about their lives. She then transforms these things using ink, fabric, paint and other media into her patterned and colorful mixed media work.



In addition to creating her artwork full time, Claudine teaches mixed media workshops in the US & Canada. She has written several books about her techniques. The one I like best is titled, Collage Discovery Workshop. Claudine enjoys the challenge of working with a variety of materials, cutting, pasting and painting her artworks by hand.


I hope all of my readers will stop by Claudine’s web site and check out her many artistic talents. There is something there for everyone and in every price range! This is the perfect place to shop for the upcoming holidays, in fact... She makes really cute customized paper dolls and all kinds of cool art. Really. Check it out.



2 comments:

Laura K. Aiken - Mosaics said...

Great job Stacy-I am crazy aobut Claudine too. Her paints are wonderful and full of pigment. I think after I bought her paints and video, I decided I need to paint more! I had forgotten how much fun it is.

Stacy Alexander said...

I love her paints, too, Laura. Very high quality and fun to use.

Thanks for stopping by!
Stacy

Stacy Alexander