Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ena Sroat – Stone Sea Studio



Mosaics first caught the eye of artist, Ena Stroat, when she worked as a historical tour guide in Italy, showing tourists the rich artistic treasures of the Vatican. She was taken by the permanence of mosaic art... how mosaics hundreds and even thousands of years old were still amazingly vibrant and intact. She was attracted to the quirky animal stylizations, intricate designs and ancient worlds that existed on her tours of Rome.

Ena wrote, “The timeless appeal of mosaics soon had me buying my first set of tile nippers and attempting my first mosaic (with many a cut and nip to my own self!) “


Now back in her native home on the island of Hawai'i, mosaic continues to
provide an inspiration and a medium for expressing the world around ber with her unique, handmade creations.







“For me, part of the magic of mosaics lies in the reflective nature of the medium. Mosaics can shimmer like light on water and alter interactively with the viewer’s position. It can also be a tactile experience when juxtaposing reflective
tile and matte stone. Each individual piece is also a unique,one-of-a-kind creation by the artist which can never be replicated or copied exactly.”




Sea life is a natural inspiration for Ena as illustrated in her pieces, “Night Dance”: and “Humuhumunukunukuapua'a “
Night Dance
Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

Hawaii also offers Ena artistic opportunities to capture the stunning seascapes and moonlit waters.
Moonrise

Sunrise over Lanikai

I'iwi Birds in the Mist

I found this three-panel wall piece called, "Zen Reflection (Mango Tree and Lizards)" to be especially beautiful:



...and, of course, Hawaii wouldn't be Hawaii without its abundance of rare tropical flowers. Ena's interpretation is stunning in this piece called, "Morning"


...and this one called, "Gardenia".



The name of Ena's mosaic business is the appropriately named, "Stone Sea Studio" where she works on commissions and will copy virtually any design submitted by her clients. You can read more about her, her art and her business at her web site.

Nice little Hawaiian vacation, eh? :-) Thanks, Ena!


6 comments:

E.L. said...

I really love the gardenia one... I have a gardenia tattoo.

The artwork on here is awesome!! i'll def. be checking back.

Bettina Makley, aka Fairywebmother. said...

Beautiful work and an awesome blog! Thanks, for the inspiration!

Sarah Zambiasi Art said...

Beautiful mosaic, opulent.
I am inspired!

Gaby Bee said...

Really fabulous art work. Very inspiring! Enjoyed the visit!
Gaby xo

Sadia Hussain said...

Stacy, this is incredible work!
Especially "Sunrise over Lanikai"
seems like it's studded with jewels.
Beautiful work!
Take care.

Atsuko said...

Beautiful mozaics! They are so refreshing to look at. Thank you for visiting my website. I am so honored that you feel this way about my art!! Your blog is very inspirational. I would love to share my art, but what did you mean by that? I am actually a bit new to this blog business. :) I will keep updated with your site!

Stacy Alexander