Saturday, September 13, 2008




Sunny Carvalho first came to my awareness when a friend from Live Journal mentioned that she would be taking one of Sunny’s classes at the annual ArtFest in Washington State. I took at look at Sunny’s web site, saw her female-themed paintings and decided to seek her permission to write this entry. My interactions with her, thus far, have proven that her name is well-suited. She has been nothing if not cheerful and encouraging and endearing.....Sunny!


Sunny is a mixed media artist from Pinson, near Birmingham, Alabama. An artist for most of her life, she is the mother of 4 . Her paintings often include fanciful female imagery that emphasizes individuality with a juxtaposition of mood with actual subject matter. Rich in texture, these softly-toned paintings explore a variety of themes.


“I have called myself an artist almost all of my life. One of my earliest memories is at about the age of 4. My mother bought me a brand new beautiful box of 64 (!!!) crayons! The box even had a sharpener on the side! The smell...the sharp newness...the beauty of a lovely line on paper and I was hooked! (All you artists know what I mean!)”



Always exploring, Sunny does not limit herself to any one specific art medium. She said she identified with 87 year old sculptor Ruth Duckworth’s statement on a recent episode of CBS Sunday Morning when she said that when she went to art school she was asked, "Do you want to paint or draw or sculpt?" To which she replied, "YES! I want to paint and draw AND sculpt!".


Sunny has created porcelain dolls for about 12 years and has written articles for Doll Crafter and Costuming magazine. Of late, she has been concentrating more on paintings and drawings.


“In the past I have been fascinated with ACEOs (Art Cards Editions and Originals). I love the challenge of creating a whole painting on a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" surface. Currently, though, I am painting on plywood (about 22 x 10 mostly) using a combination of acrylic and Genesis Oil. I then print images of my paintings and make them into purses, sketchbook holders, cellphone holders, pendants, etc. I almost exclusively use imported batik fabrics, handmade origami fabric flowers and handmade buttons on my purses. The pendants are handmade by me as well. They begin as liquid porcelain and take many, many hours to create."


If you would like to see more of Sunny’s charming work, please visit her web site.




1 comment:

Sunny Carvalho said...

Thank you so much for your lovely presentation of my work. Your blog is so very interesting and your insights are thoughtful. I appreciate your attention to detail!

Thanks! Sunny

Blog Archive

Stacy Alexander