Saturday, September 20, 2008
In my old Houston neighborhood, known as the "Montrose", there existed a curious sight until last June when the houses were demolished: two houses being sucked into a wormhole on the corner of Montrose Blvd. and Willard. This was the handiwork of two artists, Dan Havel and Dean Ruck. The project was named, "Inversion".
Havel and Ruck created a large funnel-like vortex beginning from the west wall adjacent to Montrose Blvd.
The exterior skin of the houses was peeled off and used to create the narrowing spiral as it progressed eastward through the small central hallway connecting the two buildings and exiting through a small hole into an adjacent courtyard.
Ten years ago, Dan Havel and Dean Ruck were part of a trio of artists, including sculptor Kate Petley, that collaborated on "O House," a large scale installation that transformed a small bungalow in Houston's Westend neighborhood into a magical space for two months. I recall that one entire room of the place was mosaic'd in pennies. Through the use of an interior circular room, earth floors, and pinhole projections displayed surrounding trees and sky for lighting, "O House" created an environment with a fluid barrier between inside and outside, psyche and experience, spirituality and consciousness. For many, the memory of the installation after its demolition served to strengthen their personal associations of the experience.
- ► 2010 (21)
- ► 2009 (56)
- Brent Sumner - Darjit!
- Cecilia Farrell - Trajectory
- Keisuke Saka - Paper Sculptures
- Some 3D Fun with Stereograms
- Michele Price - Priceless Pieces
- Subway Art
- Robin Indar Mosaics
- Louise Robinson - Art & Ghosts
- Pierre Matter - Steampunk Hybrids between Machine ...
- Montrose Vortex
- John T. Unger's Bottlecap Mosaic Fish
- The Paintings of Michael Ray Charles
- Brooks Tower Brooks Tower is a world-class, inter...
- Deb Carlson Wight - Texas Mosaic Artist
- For the Love of a Child
- Pete Goldlust - Carved Crayons
- Sunny Carvalho first came to my awareness when ...
- Elsie Gaertner – The Making of Stella
- Heather Jansch – Driftwood horses
- Blog Award
- Martin Brown - Fine Art Mosaics for the Modern Wor...
- The Many Faces of Anne Marie Grgich
- Chigirie - Paper Meets Mosaic
- Female Identity - Colette Calascione
- Dream on! The World's 10 Most Costly Paintings
- Irina Charny - A Master Mosaic Artist
- Jennifer Khoshbin Revisited
- Martin Waugh - Liquid Sculpture
- Arlene Elizabeth - New Work
- Karen Ami - The Real Deal
- ▼ September (30)