Brooks Tower is a world-class, internationally recognized mosaic artist who resides in my native Oklahoma. My first awareness of his mosaics was when this piece, called, “Market Day II” won Best of Show in Mosaic Arts International 2007, the juried mosaic exhibition of the Society of American Mosaic Artists. The exhibit featured 62 pieces by artists from 6 countries and was held at Mesa Contemporary Arts at the Mesa Arts Center during the SAMA convention. (Please click images to enlarge)
Brooks uses a standard tile saw for his own special technique of forming shapes that result in graceful grout lines that virtually “paint” (or instill a painterly quality) and give his subjects complete stories with beginnings and ends. His pieces are fluid and active and address often curious subject matter.
Brooks' color choices are soft and muted, relying more on the composition and application of the tile to lend strength to the pieces.
Brooks also creates tables, doors and accepts commissions for other mosaic work. Here are examples from his web site:
For more information, please see the Brooks Tower Mosaics web site.
- December (6)
- November (3)
- October (3)
- September (3)
- August (5)
- July (3)
- June (5)
- May (8)
- April (6)
- March (6)
- February (6)
- January (2)
- December (2)
- October (1)
- Brent Sumner - Darjit!
- Cecilia Farrell - Trajectory
- Keisuke Saka - Paper Sculptures
- Some 3D Fun with Stereograms
- Michele Price - Priceless Pieces
- Subway Art
- Robin Indar Mosaics
- Louise Robinson - Art & Ghosts
- Pierre Matter - Steampunk Hybrids between Machine ...
- Montrose Vortex
- John T. Unger's Bottlecap Mosaic Fish
- The Paintings of Michael Ray Charles
- Brooks Tower Brooks Tower is a world-class, inter...
- Deb Carlson Wight - Texas Mosaic Artist
- For the Love of a Child
- Pete Goldlust - Carved Crayons
- Sunny Carvalho first came to my awareness when ...
- Elsie Gaertner – The Making of Stella
- Heather Jansch – Driftwood horses
- Blog Award
- Martin Brown - Fine Art Mosaics for the Modern Wor...
- The Many Faces of Anne Marie Grgich
- Chigirie - Paper Meets Mosaic
- Female Identity - Colette Calascione
- Dream on! The World's 10 Most Costly Paintings
- Irina Charny - A Master Mosaic Artist
- Jennifer Khoshbin Revisited
- Martin Waugh - Liquid Sculpture
- Arlene Elizabeth - New Work
- Karen Ami - The Real Deal
- August (17)
- July (17)
- June (27)
- May (30)
- April (27)
- March (29)
- February (28)
- January (25)