Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Rexploration of Dale Chihuly
Yesterday, our family met with friends, Fred and Delaine, at the deYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park for a stroll through Dale Chihuly's first major exhibition in San Francisco. What a show! The exhibit includes eleven galleries of new and archival works representing the artist’s creative vision over the last four decades. The de Young Museum is the only venue for this exhibition.
The exhibit included some of Chihuly’s earliest installations (not been viewed in the U.S. since 1972) to some of his latest work.
Five Chandeliers dramatically transformed an entire gallery into a wonderland of light. Their titles suggest a feast of color and form, characteristic of one of Chihuly’s most celebrated series: Ruby Red, Turquoise Icicle, Orange Hornet and Eelgrass, Chiostro di Sant’ Apollonia, and Palazzo de Loredana Balboni.
The Tabac Baskets were displayed in the context of and alongside the original baskets that have served as sources of inspiration to the artist.
Chihuly vessels were presented in darkened rooms with direct spotlights above or below to demonstrate the variety of jewel-like colors and textures.
Among my personal favorites were two lifesize row boats filled with glass spheres, ripples and rods.
A 56-foot-long Mille Fiori garden of glass composed of bold forms in vibrant colors delighted viewers and provided a powerful conclusion to the exhibition.
The exhibit will run through September 28,2008. If you find yourself in the Bay Area, I highly recommend you stop by to see this color explosion of utter delight!
For more information about Dale Chihuly, please visit his web site.
- December (6)
- November (3)
- October (3)
- September (3)
- August (5)
- July (3)
- June (5)
- May (8)
- April (6)
- March (6)
- February (6)
- January (2)
- December (2)
- October (1)
- September (30)
- August (17)
- William Pye
- Stencil Art
- In January of 2006, I went to see the Kiki Smith ...
- Brian Goggin -Help! My Furniture is Escaping!
- Lily McElroy (My Mama Would NOT Approve!)
- Sofia Harrison - Through the Glass
- Living Environment as Projector - Michael Naimark
- Brett and Leslie Campbell
- Want to learn to work with concrete?!
- How to Make Paper from Vegetables
- Miriam Wosk – Visual Glutton
- The Mosaic Art of Julee Latimer
- Lawrence Northey – There’s something about machine...
- Laurie Anderson - O Superwoman
- Francesca De Lorme - Vermont to Hawaii in Mosaics
- Casey Weldon California native, Casey Weldon, now...
- Rexploration of Dale Chihuly
- June (27)
- May (30)
- April (27)
- March (29)
- February (28)
- January (25)