Her name is Ulrike Martinez. Like many artists, from an early age, she has loved art and its creation. While in school, it was not uncommon to find her drawings and art projects proudly displayed. She is a native German who now lives in Southern California.
Ulrike graduated from dental school in Germany but her interest in art took the form of fashion and interior design. In 1990, she began painting murals. It wasn’t until a few years ago that she discovered mosaic, and like so many of us, became hooked.
Ulrike uses a lot of Mexican smalti and other glass tesserae in her work. She writes, “ Mosaic, this ancient art of putting together hand cut tesserae through meticulous precision, is a gratifying way to express my relentless desire to create beauty and for my visions of the world around me.”
A sensation that a lot of mosaic artists feel was expressed by Ulrike when she stated that after she finished her first piece, she “could not let go”.
“ I had found what I was looking for all my life in creating beauty and the relentless pursuit of perfection. It is an eloquent testimony of my dedication to carry on this form of one of the oldest art and decorating style. Once I have started on a piece, I cannot let go until it is finished.”
Ulrike designs and draws all of her pieces from scratch and with the greatest of care.
“ I use only the finest materials available from around the world.”
Ulrike Martinez is a part of EBSQ, the organization for Self Representing Artists, and her profile can be found HERE.
Please click HERE for her web site which contains contact information and additional photos of her work.
- ► 2010 (21)
- ► 2009 (56)
- Christy L. Weigel - Self Reflections
- Gone Fishin'...
- Ron Mueck - Larger than Life
- Lilian Broca - One Tessera at a Time
- Art from Water
- Chris Gilmour - Cardboard and Glue
- "Wash Me!"
- Carrie Bracker - Nature's Mosaics
- Outsider Artist Gerard Brion
- Really Haute Weapons of Mass Designer
- Share-it-Square - Community Art (in my old hood)...
- Lynne Chinn - Originality of Expression
- Jason Walker - Unnaturally Natural
- Mark Brody - Pushing the Mosaic Limits
- Carol Shelkin - Painting with Glass
- Flying Art in the Sky - Flogo
- Intarsia - Wooden Mosaics
- Just Plain Silly!
- Ulrike Martinez - For the love of Mosaics
- Tenacity - Skeeter and the Pack
- In Saundra’s Garden -Blissful Tranquility
- Gary Knox Bennett - Another Jewel in the Jingletow...
- Nancy Howells - More than painted chairs...
- San Francisco is an art Mecca of artistic talent. ...
- It's a Dog's Life - William Wegman
- Good Enough to Eat!
- Create Your Own Mosaic Classes with Angela Casazza...
- ▼ June (27)