Thursday, June 19, 2008
Outsider Artist Gerard Brion
French outsider artist, Gerard Brion, loves Paris in the springtime. He loves it year round, in fact, and has demonstrated this passion for the City of Lights by spending the last 15 years creating a body of work dedicated to it....a miniature version of Paris made from recycled materials such as soup cans, baby food jars and other discards destined for the rubbish bin.
Paris landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and Sacré Coeur began to show up in his flower beds a decade and a half ago, and as his skills improved, his passion for the project grew. These days, it is his obsession. Brion spends many hours in his studio each week, handcrafting his authentic-looking miniature creations and finishing them down to the smallest details.
Brion has, from time-to-time, lent small sections of his cityscape to a museum in Paris that exhibits miniatures exclusively. However, his work is created for his own enjoyment right in his own back yard and is generally not open to the public other than for small groups once or twice a week. Hopefully, this will change in the near future.
Photo credit: UK Sun Star
- ► 2010 (21)
- ► 2009 (56)
- Christy L. Weigel - Self Reflections
- Gone Fishin'...
- Ron Mueck - Larger than Life
- Lilian Broca - One Tessera at a Time
- Art from Water
- Chris Gilmour - Cardboard and Glue
- "Wash Me!"
- Carrie Bracker - Nature's Mosaics
- Outsider Artist Gerard Brion
- Really Haute Weapons of Mass Designer
- Share-it-Square - Community Art (in my old hood)...
- Lynne Chinn - Originality of Expression
- Jason Walker - Unnaturally Natural
- Mark Brody - Pushing the Mosaic Limits
- Carol Shelkin - Painting with Glass
- Flying Art in the Sky - Flogo
- Intarsia - Wooden Mosaics
- Just Plain Silly!
- Ulrike Martinez - For the love of Mosaics
- Tenacity - Skeeter and the Pack
- In Saundra’s Garden -Blissful Tranquility
- Gary Knox Bennett - Another Jewel in the Jingletow...
- Nancy Howells - More than painted chairs...
- San Francisco is an art Mecca of artistic talent. ...
- It's a Dog's Life - William Wegman
- Good Enough to Eat!
- Create Your Own Mosaic Classes with Angela Casazza...
- ▼ June (27)