Friday, June 6, 2008
Gary Knox Bennett - Another Jewel in the Jingletown Crown
When Isaiah and Julia Zagar were in Oakland, they told us about their friend, Gary Knox Bennett, an art furniture maker who lives nearby here in Oakland.
An artistic giant of a man, Gary combines enormous talent for sculptural form with unique genius for finding beauty in unconventional materials such as ColorCore and other man-made matrials that he intigrates into his natural wood works of art.
He works like a dervish to produce entire groups of pieces that dissect a myriad of possibilities. His furniture exhibits functionality and meticulous craftsmgnizably American sensibility.
He builds on the fly, incorporating an array of materials and objects. Bennett's work has made him an icon, and among other things, he has been referred to as the "oldest of the second generation of studio furniture makers." In his early 70's, Gary is said to still have the enthusiasm of a 21-year-old.
Gary's wonderful book, published by The American Craft Museum, is available at most bookstores and through Amazon.com.
"I was once introduced in Berea, Ky., as the Hunter S. Thompson of woodworking," he says. "God damn, I always loved that. I just thought that was terrific. It's just mouth-wise."
- ► 2010 (21)
- ► 2009 (56)
- Christy L. Weigel - Self Reflections
- Gone Fishin'...
- Ron Mueck - Larger than Life
- Lilian Broca - One Tessera at a Time
- Art from Water
- Chris Gilmour - Cardboard and Glue
- "Wash Me!"
- Carrie Bracker - Nature's Mosaics
- Outsider Artist Gerard Brion
- Really Haute Weapons of Mass Designer
- Share-it-Square - Community Art (in my old hood)...
- Lynne Chinn - Originality of Expression
- Jason Walker - Unnaturally Natural
- Mark Brody - Pushing the Mosaic Limits
- Carol Shelkin - Painting with Glass
- Flying Art in the Sky - Flogo
- Intarsia - Wooden Mosaics
- Just Plain Silly!
- Ulrike Martinez - For the love of Mosaics
- Tenacity - Skeeter and the Pack
- In Saundra’s Garden -Blissful Tranquility
- Gary Knox Bennett - Another Jewel in the Jingletow...
- Nancy Howells - More than painted chairs...
- San Francisco is an art Mecca of artistic talent. ...
- It's a Dog's Life - William Wegman
- Good Enough to Eat!
- Create Your Own Mosaic Classes with Angela Casazza...
- ▼ June (27)