Thursday, May 22, 2008
Ralph Goings - Painting the light
Santa Cruz artist, Ralph Goings, is a realist painter who has exhibited in this country, Europe and Japan. He is represented in museums and private collections here and abroad. When I view his work, I can hardly believe they are paintings rather than photographs.
He omits nothing with his paint brush in capturing what a camera's lens would see.
One thing that Goings' work has in common with photographs is its examination of light. Photography records, not objects as things in themselves, but the fall of light on objects—in other words, the way in which light is shaped by anything that interrupts its trajectory from the source.
Goings is recognized as one of the original members of the Hyper-Realist or Photo-Realist group of the late 1960's. His work draws our attention to the ordinary everyday experience of American life... showing that there is beauty in the mundane.
Art critic,,Edward Lucie-Smith writes about Going's work:
"He wants to tell us that the most ordinary things are well worth looking at—provided that we have the discipline to look at that property, on their own terms and for their own sake. After all, this is precisely what Vermeer does in the View of Delft. Why should Goings be ashamed to follow his example?"
All works shown in this entry are in private collections or collection of the artist.
"My paintings are about light, about the way things look in their environment and especially about how things look painted.
Form, color and space are at the whim of reality, their discovery and organization is the assignment of the realist painter."
- ► 2010 (21)
- ► 2009 (56)
- David Zuttermeister - A New Symbolism
- Altin Rizi – Atelier of Mosaics
- Getting Ahead...Live Sculpture
- Oh, What a Tangled Web We Weave.....
- Vernissage 2008: San Francisco Art Institute MFA G...
- Remembering_____ The Art of Mountain View Cemeter...
- Annie Leibovitz - Speaking With Her Lens
- The Wedding Night of Tobias and Sarah
- Yulia Hanasen - Razzle Dazzle and WOW!
- Ralph Goings - Painting the light
- Kelly Price Colston AKA Paper Ballet
- Tammy Lee - Mosaic Art Imperfect Perfection
- ATC = Artist Trading Cards (Portable Art)
- Klaus Lange - What no one else can see....
- Gila Rayberg - New Orleans Mosaics ...and all that...
- Pique Assiette - Smashing!
- Lisa Kokin - More than Words
- The Invisible Paintings of Edd Aragon
- Cynjon Noah - A Multifaceted Art Jewel
- Colleen Sands - Art through the Pain
- Red Bull - Energizing and Artfully Inspiring
- Barbara Peacock - In Living Color
- "You just put your lips together and blow" - Drawi...
- Elizabeth Raybee - Combining Personalities to Crea...
- A Different Kind of Art...
- Plywood Veneer Sculptures - Paul Baden
- Rachel Rodi - Personal & Universal Inspiration
- The Art of Sumi-e
- Kim Grant - Mosaics that DAZZLE!
- Whimsical Rubbish - Ben Hawkins
- ▼ May (30)