Friday, May 9, 2008
Barbara Peacock - In Living Color
Barbara Peacock is a spirited, self-taught artist who isn’t afraid to explore different media, color, design and style. She got her enviable start in the arts when she was a child with a mother who worked for Disney making 'Mickey Mouse' when he was still black & white. Sometimes, Barbara got to help!
An aspect of Barbara’s talent that deserves a lot of respect is the pleasure she gets from sharing her talent with others.....especially when others tell her that she is good at it! (And she IS good at it!)
“Teaching others and seeing their pleasure at conquering the task....well, that makes me feel so good! So, I do love the teaching part! “
Barbara began her professional art career creating portraits in oils. However, once she mastered the media, she decided to explore other areas of art.
“ I have done all types of crafts, all types of painting, stained glass, bead work, glass fusing, glass blowing, and glass making.
Glass has always fascinated me.....the way it cuts, melts, fuses, strings out, gets so thin when you blow it.....and the colors are incredible!!!!! “
Barbara began making mosaics because a neighbor expressed an interest in having a mosaic installed in her home.
“I looked at it, knew I could do it...and did it!! That was in 2003....then I did nothing but look at mosaics for a few years. They mesmerized me.....the placement of so many small 'something's' to complete a 'something' so BIG! And, what fun mixing all the tiny different items and having it come out looking like something!”
In October of 2007, Barbara traveled to Italy to participate in the Masters Class at Orsoni Glass in Venice. That was her first experience working with smalti. This picture shows a piece that she worked on in the class. Albeit incomplete, it is beautiful!
She fell in love with it's shine and sparkle but, by no means, limits her glass work to smalti alone. Give her a pair of nippers and there are no limits to what this woman can do!
“To me mosaics are always the same and always different. From the very first cut to grouting....or not grouting.”
Barbara loves a good challenge and her work shows this.
“Placing a small piece so that it compliments the whole is my life story!“
Take a look at more pictures of Barbara Peacock's work by clicking HERE.
- ► 2010 (21)
- ► 2009 (56)
- David Zuttermeister - A New Symbolism
- Altin Rizi – Atelier of Mosaics
- Getting Ahead...Live Sculpture
- Oh, What a Tangled Web We Weave.....
- Vernissage 2008: San Francisco Art Institute MFA G...
- Remembering_____ The Art of Mountain View Cemeter...
- Annie Leibovitz - Speaking With Her Lens
- The Wedding Night of Tobias and Sarah
- Yulia Hanasen - Razzle Dazzle and WOW!
- Ralph Goings - Painting the light
- Kelly Price Colston AKA Paper Ballet
- Tammy Lee - Mosaic Art Imperfect Perfection
- ATC = Artist Trading Cards (Portable Art)
- Klaus Lange - What no one else can see....
- Gila Rayberg - New Orleans Mosaics ...and all that...
- Pique Assiette - Smashing!
- Lisa Kokin - More than Words
- The Invisible Paintings of Edd Aragon
- Cynjon Noah - A Multifaceted Art Jewel
- Colleen Sands - Art through the Pain
- Red Bull - Energizing and Artfully Inspiring
- Barbara Peacock - In Living Color
- "You just put your lips together and blow" - Drawi...
- Elizabeth Raybee - Combining Personalities to Crea...
- A Different Kind of Art...
- Plywood Veneer Sculptures - Paul Baden
- Rachel Rodi - Personal & Universal Inspiration
- The Art of Sumi-e
- Kim Grant - Mosaics that DAZZLE!
- Whimsical Rubbish - Ben Hawkins
- ▼ May (30)