Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Diane Redmer Moore – Painting with Beads

Diane Redmer Moore


Since the 18th century the concept of craft is historically associated with the production of useful objects and art with less utilitarian ones. The craftsman's teapot or vase should normally be able to hold tea or flowers, while the artist's work is typically without utilitarian function. I don't care for this definition because this writer believes that art provides the greatest utilitarian function of all...a reason to get out of bed and embrace each day. Diane Redmer Moore uses her needle and beads to make art.



Known by her friends as, "Enchy" (Enchylatta), Diane, of Mountain Salt Studio lives in a candy colored house in a rural area near Seattle with six cats, four dogs and one musician. Her preferred art form includes techniques that have adorned moccasin tops and other decorative garments for more than 6,000 years. Diane paints exquisite pictures with a needle and beads.



About her inspiration for the creative process, Diana writes:

"I think that for me, it is difficult to really tell where it comes from. I work in fits and spurts - there will be a dry spell for weeks and then suddenly, as if from no where, a large body of work will come spewing forth, some of it not so good, but some of it quite wonderful. I fill up the waste bin quite often with the 'not so good' things."




Her work also originates from a keen sense of observation.



"I tend to be pretty quiet and very observant - i am constantly making little sketches that are more impressions than anything else - brief wisps of images that somehow all gel into something else - eventually."





To inspire her, Diane collects bits of paper...newspapper clippings, postcards, pictures torn from books and photographs and pairs these things with interesting ephemera and objects d'artes that she draws from for their textural influences.

"...so the creative process, for me, is something that happens when all of the textures and images and tastes and smells combine and magically transform themselves..."



"Historically I've been doing art for as long as I can remember. I think it was something that could be done quietly and being quiet was highly encouraged in my house when I was a child. I sold my first painting when I was 10 at an 'art sale' I set up on the sidewalk in front of my house (much to the horror of my mother). I was the arts and crafts director of the local parks department and was an art major in college with an area of concentration in figure drawing. Suddenly finding myself a single mother I learned that drawing naked people really doesn't pay the rent and went back to college and got a degree in social work and still work in that field today."





Diane has always been influenced by the Mexican muralists. Her fifth birthday party was held in in the Rivera Room of the Detroit Institute of Arts "...as it was my favorite place in the world. It's the only thing I miss about living in Detroit."



With each new intricate piece Enchy creates, fans of her work know it will delight the eye and transport the imagination to wherever she wants to take us.


No comments:

Stacy Alexander