Tracy Broback creating a Darjit! sculpture of Ferdinand the Bull
After I met Tracy Broback, it didn’t take long for me to realize she was a woman of many talents. In fact, a real problem I have in writing this entry is in deciding which area(s) of her work to address. I have witnessed her seemingly magical garden arts. I have gawked at her awesome mosaic work. I have envied her ability to draw, and this week, she decided to share photos of her quilts, leaving me to wonder…..Is there anything she can’t do??
Cinco de Mayo
When in her presence, I have always noted a sense of peacefulness about Tracy…a contagious, calming energy. She is a dovoted mother of two beautiful children and includes them in her work whenever possible. The quilt in the background of this picture was made from their infant clothing.
Emma and Nicholas
Tracy and I used to see one another at work-related gatherings and I found it interesting that she almost always had a smile on her face. Then I saw her art and I realized that I would be smiling all the time, too, if I had that kind of talent!
Tracy is a superb artist who, since childhood, has not been afraid to explore new artistic endeavors. Her advanced understanding of color, rhythm & pattern has opened many doors for her artistically with her quilts and mosaic art. Her mastery of materials, technique, composition and imagery have placed her on a real track for success as an artist. I am honored to know her.
“I have always been an artist. As a child I worked at the craft table my father made for me while my family watched T.V. As a student, I filled every elective I could with art classes. As an elementary school teacher, art permeated my science, social studies, math and literature lessons. As a mother, art entered my garden, my home, my children’s clothes, rooms and activities. Though I never before believed it possible, art is now entering my life as a career.”
"Recently, I have discovered mosaics. Many of my previous interests have merged in this ancient and evolving art form. My study of quilt design, ceramics, painting, drawing and sculpture coupled with the many precious items that pets and children have broken over the years and my innate love of shiny things, color and collecting provide me with a limitless pallet of designs and materials. I love to be surrounded by beauty in my garden and home. I love to look at and use objects that make me happy. I like to think about the person that I am and that I want to be. I create art that allows me to fulfill all of those desires."
Sweet Child of Mine
"My art is very personal and precious to me. I make things for specific people or to meditate on a particular theme. I am finding I want to fill more and more of my time with this work and I am discovering a desire within myself to share these thoughts with others. I hope that my creations can bring some peace or happiness to others."
They do, Tracy. They do!
Tracy teaches at Institute of Mosaic Art in Oakland.
More of Tracy’s work can be seen on flickr under the user name”tbroback”.
- December (6)
- November (3)
- October (3)
- September (3)
- August (5)
- July (3)
- June (5)
- May (8)
- April (6)
- March (6)
- February (6)
- January (2)
- December (2)
- October (1)
- September (30)
- August (17)
- July (17)
- June (27)
- May (30)
- April (27)
- Magic with a Flatbed Scanner - and winner of FREE ...
- FOOOOOOD ART!!!!
- Stephanie Metz – Never Felt Better!
- Carol Hummel – Embellishing Nature
- Tracy Broback - Many Irons in an Artful Fire
- Mars Tokyo -A Universe of Fantastic Art
- Jacqueline Iskander - Mosaics with Meaning
- Organizing Your Art Space by Stacy Alexander
- Goldsworthy - Rock of Ages...and eggs.
- Len Cowgill - Containment Beyond Assemblage
- Look at that Art Car go!
- Got art? Look no further....than your coffee cup!...
- Vincent Floderer - King of Crimp
- Skin Deep Art
- I'm your Steampunk, baby!
- Christine Brallier - Mosaic Life Force
- Elayne Goodman - Trash to Treasure
- Tutorial - Record Bowl & Handy Screen Printing
- Arlene Elizabeth - Peace maker
- Dorothy "Dot" Edwards - SPARKLES!
- Lynn Leahy - Reverse Glass Painting
- Tiona Marco - What Color Crayon Are You?
- How do you spell Graffiti? A-R-T-C-R-I-M-E
- Laurie Mika - Expressive Mosaics...and everything ...
- Madeleine Boulesteix - Just my cup of tea!
- Berta Sergeant - Northwest Mosaics
- Delaine Hackney - Mosaic Artist
- Star Fishing
- February (28)
- January (25)