What color crayon are you?
Click here to find out.
This entry is about Crayola artist, Tiona Marco, formerly known as Christina Nelson. Yes...you read that right...CRAYOLA artist...as in the same crayons you used back in elementary school. Working with only Crayola Crayons and construction paper, Tiona creates these amazing images in contemporary realism.
Another Sunny Day
In 2006, after completing a B.S. degree at the Minneapolis College of Art & Design, Tiona traveled to Guadalajara to teach English and art to children in elementary school. Because she didn't know what resources would be available to her at the school, before she left she thought to stuff her suitcase with hundreds of Crayola Crayons...and it was a good thing she did! Upon arrival, she was informed by school authorities that the children were responsible for their own art supplies. It was then, faced with limited resources as well as the strong desire to continue creating her own work that Tiona asked herself, "Can I create fine art with crayola crayons?" I think the answer is pretty obvious.
Just when she began to believe she had pushed the Crayola medium as far as she could, Tiona met Don Marco, a retired air traffic controller who is considered by many to be the master-of-all-masters of Crayola artists.
Don Marco's artwork can be viewed HERE
Tiona was impressed and excited to meet an artist who had done so much with this simple and commonplace medium. She apprenticed under Don for a year, and then opened up her own art studio in the spring of 2007.
In homage to her hero and art teacher, Christina Nelson changed her name to, "Tiona Marco" to honor Don Marco for his time, dedication and patience in teaching her the skill that she subsequently honed into a master-level endeavor.
See a video clip of Tiona with Don Marco HERE.
Small, Medium and Large
To see more of Tiona Marco's unique Crayola art, please CLICK HERE to go to her web site.
- ► 2010 (21)
- ► 2009 (56)
- Magic with a Flatbed Scanner - and winner of FREE ...
- FOOOOOOD ART!!!!
- Stephanie Metz – Never Felt Better!
- Carol Hummel – Embellishing Nature
- Tracy Broback - Many Irons in an Artful Fire
- Mars Tokyo -A Universe of Fantastic Art
- Jacqueline Iskander - Mosaics with Meaning
- Organizing Your Art Space by Stacy Alexander
- Goldsworthy - Rock of Ages...and eggs.
- Len Cowgill - Containment Beyond Assemblage
- Look at that Art Car go!
- Got art? Look no further....than your coffee cup!...
- Vincent Floderer - King of Crimp
- Skin Deep Art
- I'm your Steampunk, baby!
- Christine Brallier - Mosaic Life Force
- Elayne Goodman - Trash to Treasure
- Tutorial - Record Bowl & Handy Screen Printing
- Arlene Elizabeth - Peace maker
- Dorothy "Dot" Edwards - SPARKLES!
- Lynn Leahy - Reverse Glass Painting
- Tiona Marco - What Color Crayon Are You?
- How do you spell Graffiti? A-R-T-C-R-I-M-E
- Laurie Mika - Expressive Mosaics...and everything ...
- Madeleine Boulesteix - Just my cup of tea!
- Berta Sergeant - Northwest Mosaics
- Delaine Hackney - Mosaic Artist
- Star Fishing
- ▼ March (29)