Thursday, March 20, 2008

Got art? Look no further....than your coffee cup!

Art is everywhere.

At times, one need look no further than the morning cupa joe!


I used to live in the Pacific Northwest where the term, "My barista..." was commonly used to refer to that special espresso bartender considered to be expert in the art of making espresso in any given neighborhood. When they made lattes, many of them finished off the drink with a special flourish of coffee art. Virtually every barista in every coffee shop from Portland to Seattle boasted of having the competitive edge over the guy next door when it came to creative picture making out of milk foam on top of the coffee.

Now, some clever guy has built a machine capable of accomplishing this same task. Said machine consists of a used x-y flatbed plotter (Philips 8155) and a book by Matt Gilliland, titled “Inkjet Applications”...oh, and some edible brown ink. He put the three things together with a nice, frothy latte... and viola!

(Click HERE if you cannot see the video above.)
While the machine makes some pretty impressive renderings, my respect still goes to the folks who can make latte drawings the old fashioned way....the way my barista back in Portland made 'em.

Enjoy!


























3 comments:

lee said...

that almost makes me want to take up coffee drinking

freebird said...

Wouldn't I love to have a morning cup like these. Hmmm, but I drink my coffee black. A cup of mocha perhaps? These are fantastic. I never knew pictures were made on the foam. You've enlightened me.

Rosalie said...

Wow! Fantastic! I can't believe I haven't seen that before! I live in Seattle!

Blog Archive

Stacy Alexander