Sunday, March 16, 2008

Christine Brallier - Mosaic Life Force

It came of little surprise to learn that Christine Brallier is into therapeutic energy work. It shows in her art. What was a surprise was when I learned that her mosaic skill is self taught!

Christine Brallier

Christine first caught “mosaic fever” in 2005 when she picked up a DIY mosaic kit. Since that time, she has been honing her skill through books and the internet and has achieved a real level of professional expertise.
Untitled


Apart from noting its beauty, I had two initial impressions when I first saw Christine’s mosaic art. I was taken by the movement, the “good energy” inherent in each piece, how it seemed to come alive and had such strength of design and vitality. I also found that her ability to manipulate color, weaving interesting threads of it throughout her compositions, really held my attention. Don't you just love this piece?!
Pears


Christine wrote:

When I was a child and people would ask me what I want to do when I grow up, I would say, “ART!” And that’s pretty much all I did (plus music) up through high school.




Christine is a multi-disciplinary artist. In addition to her mosaic work, she has studied water color, figure drawing, and landscape painting, and has taught herself cross-stitch and crochet.

“What I love about making mosaics is starting out with one piece of glass and watching it grow into a completed work of art. The process of choosing the colors and deciding how to cut the glass and how to lay it out, all of it fascinates me because there are infinite possibilities. All of my life I have loved every kind of puzzle, so mosaic art has been the perfect fit for me!”
Mt. Carmel


Piece-by-exquisite-piece, Christine creates mosaics for home, businesses and public installations, most recently, a public park. She characterized the process of creating a public mosaic “incredibly rewarding” and looks forward to creating many more in the years to come.

Joy of Life

Christine also has a knack for making pet portraits. She created the following piece, entitled, “Myndee” as part of the Steve Irwin Mosaic Tribute to be installed in Australia by Sandy Robertson of Oz Mosacs.
Myndee

Here is another:

Sleeping


Christine is a member of the Society of American Mosaic Artists, the Goleta Valley Art Association, Santa Barbara Visual Artsand the Artist Guild of Santa Ynez Valley.

In 2006, Christine was second runner up for the Mosaic Mercantile Holiday Contest and in 2007 received a William T. Colville Foundation Grant. Her work appeared in both the 2006 and 2007 Mosaic Art Yearbooks.

Portia

Christine Brallier’s work has been exhibited at the following venues:

Meisel Gallery, Santa Barbara, CA, Feb-May 2008
Goleta Library, Goleta, CA, Feb 2008
Galerie Eye, Carpinteria, CA, Nov 2007
Karpeles Gallery, Santa Barbara, CA, Jan-March 2007
Del Pueblo Restaurant, Santa Barbara, CA, July 2006
Fresco, Santa Barbara, CA, Nov 2005

Along the Shore

For further information about Christine and more photos of her work, please visit her web site at: CB Mosaics

















3 comments:

barney said...

Wow! These mosaics are simply great. Christine is a wonderful artist. It was nice to know about her. She has inspired me. Thanks for the lovely pics. Art Glass

Anonymous said...

nice blog Stacey! you can check out some of my work at www.jodieflowers.etsy.com

Anonymous said...

I thanked you before, but not publicly on your blog! Thank you very much for writing about me, Stacy! I enjoy your blog very much and look forward to each post! :-) Christine

Blog Archive

Stacy Alexander